Thursday, November 29, 2012

Putting a 13-Year-Old Child Safely on Facebook

By Nick Bilton

An e-mail in my inbox Monday morning from my editor had a scary subject line: “Help!” When I opened the message, I read this:“My daughter is 13-years-old today and so, as promised, I let her sign up for Facebook. YIKES. Now I am freaking out over her privacy settings!”

Even for an adult, Facebook’s privacy settings are as daunting as trying to do your taxes with an abacus. For teenagers, unaware of the consequences of their online actions, using Facebook incorrectly could potentially leave a digital trail that might follow them all the way through high school, college and into the real world.

Read this great article and tips here
http://bits.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/11/27/putting-a-13-year-old-child-safely-on-facebook